09 June 2011

Weekly Recap: Kevorkian, antimatter, Reapers, and a facepalm!

The past week has seen me making a road trip to Chicago with my wife and being miserable with a head cold, and it looks like I missed out on a few developments during my hiatus from the news and the blogosphere.  I've been playing catchup since Tuesday.

  • Dr. Jack Kevorkian, infamous for assisting in the suicides of patients with terminal or otherwise incurable degenerative diseases, has himself shuffled loose the mortal coil; atheist bloggers across the ideological spectrum seem inclined to agree with his assertion that people ought to be allowed to choose a quick, painless death over a slow, agonizing one.

  • The crew over at CERN managed to trap 300 atoms of antimatter for 16 minutes, long enough to get some serious science done.  (Side note: what does a photo of someone looking through a low-power microscope have to do with studying subatomic particles?  I expect better science reporting, Telegraph.)


  • New gameplay videos of Mass Effect 3 were released this past weekend at E3, showing the devastation wrought by untold legions of colossal Reapers descending on our planet.  I normally don't like to geek out on this blog, but I am (to say the least) very excited for this game to come out next year.

  • PZ Myers has showcased what is quite possibly the dumbest thing ever sent his way.  The stupid, it burns.

  • Anthony Weiner.  Obvious jokes abound, but there have been worse scandals.  All that aside, I've generally been impressed with debate he's given on the House floor.

    Creative Commons License

    Creative Commons License